Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Bean Station



Marker ID: DAR 
Location: on Bean Station Cemetery Road south of Old Lee Hwy (US 11W), Bean Station, TN
County: Grainger
Coordinates: N 36° 19.848    W 083° 22.098
  36.3308    -83.3683
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This was one of the first settlements in Tennessee. William Bean and Daniel Boone camped here in 1775. Indians massacred the first settler, a farmer named English. Permanently settled by William II, Robert, George and Jessie Bean, who were granted over 3,000 acres of land along German Creek for Revolutionary services; William II and Robert being captains of militia. The Bean house located seventy feet south of this marker, formed one corner of the fort and was built over a spring to insure water for defenders in case of siege. Here was the intersection of Daniel Boone’s trail and the great war path of the Cherokees, later a crossing of Baltimore to Nashville stage road and Kentucky to Carolina turnpike. Bean Station was a post village and important stopping place for travelers. Whiteside Inn was built in 1811. Bean Station Inn built 1814, was the largest tavern between Washington and New Orleans. John Sevier, Andrew Jackson, James K. Polk, Henry Clay, and Andrew Johnson were among notable men entertained here. Bean Station and valley was the scene of battle between armies of Longstreet and Burnside during the Civil War.


1929 by Nancy Ward Chapter, Daughters of American Revolution, Chattanooga, Tennessee