Historic Markers Across Tennessee



First Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: THC 1C 59
Location: 154 North Main Street, Greeneville, TN
County: Greene
Coordinates: N 36° 9.819    W 082° 49.842
  36.16365    -82.8307
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM6D6K
 



Text:

Founded in 1780 under the trees at the Big Spring by the Rev. Samuel Doak, it was originally called Mount Bethel Presbyterian Church. The first settled pastor was the Rev. Hezekiah Balch in 1783. Fifteen years later the name was changed to Harmony Church.