Historic Markers Across Tennessee



George Clem School 1887~1965



Marker ID: THC 1C 85
Location: Bus US 11E at Floral St, Greeneville, TN
County: Greene
Coordinates: N 36° 09.880    W 082° 50.403
  36.16466666    -82.84005
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMR81N
 



Text:

George Clem School 1887~1965


In 1887, with assistance from the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church, the George Clem School was organized as Greeneville College. In 1932, the Greeneville Board of Education leased the property to provide public education for Negroes. Three years later, George Clem was appointed principal. Consisting of grades one through ten, the school was renamed Greeneville College High School. In 1937, the 11th grade was added. A year later, the school became an accredited four-year school. In 1939, the city purchased the school and renamed in the George Clem School. A decade later, the original building was demolished and the present building was erected in 1950. The school closed in 1965 when the public schools desegregated, and it became the location of the Greeneville City Schools Central Office.


Tennessee Historical Commission