Historic Markers Across Tennessee



The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga



Marker ID: THC 2A 33
Location: 720 East 4th Street, Chattanooga, TN
County: Hamilton
Coordinates: N 35° 02.719    W 085° 17.977
  35.04531666    -85.29961666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM25Q8
 



Text:

Founded by the Methodist Episcopal Church with generous assistance by Chattanoogans this institution became a principal campus of The University of Tennessee in 1969. As an endowed, privately controlled institution it was known as Chattanooga University, 1886 to 1889, as Grant University. 1889 to 1907, and as University of Chattanooga, 1907 to 1969. First buildings were erected on this site in 1886 and the present plant begun in 1916.

Tennessee Historical Commission