Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Old Harrison



Marker ID: THC 2A 36
Location: on Tennessee 58 south of Hunter Road, Harrison, TN 
County: Hamilton
Coordinates: N 35° 08.301    W 085° 07.293
  35.13835    -85.12155
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM25WR
 



Text:

Hamilton County's first court met at Hasten Poe's tavern near the present Daisy in 1819, later moving to Rawlings' Farm, near the present Dallas. In 1840, a courthouse was built about 500 yards NW of this point, and the new town named for President William Henry Harrison. The county seat moved to Chattanooga in 1871.

Tennessee Historical Commission