Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Chattanooga High School



Marker ID: THC 2A 52
Location: 1301 Dallas Road, Chattanooga, TN
County: Hamilton
Coordinates: N 35° 04.768    W 085° 18.111
  35.07946666    -85.30185
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2B6P
 



Text:

The first public high school in the city and county, it was organized Dec., 1874, in the Second District School on College Hill, following classes started by the then superintendent, Henry D. Wyatt, in his office a year earlier. First graduation was in 1879. After a fire in 1896, it was moved seven times, finally moving to this site in 1963.
Tennessee Historical Commission