Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Old Dallas



Marker ID: THC 2A 62
Location: on Dallas Island, on Hamilton County Park Rd., Hixson, TN
County: Hamilton
Coordinates: N 35° 11.313    W 085° 08.213
  35.18855    -85.13688333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2467
 



Text:

In the 1822 the site of Hamilton County's first Courthouse with post office was located 1/2 mile NE on land of Asahel Rawlings. (Blank spot for removed text) In 1830 a town call Dallas was founded with Commissioners Robert Patterson, Chmn., Daniel Henderson, Jeremiah H. Jones, William McGill, James Riddle, and Cornelius Milligan. In 1834 the population was 200, with 4 stores, 2 taverns, 2 doctors, 1 lawyer, and 1 blacksmith. The county seat was moved in 1840.

Tennessee Historical Commission