Historic Markers Across Tennessee



The Union Depot



Marker ID: THC 2A 70
Location: East Ninth Street, Chattanooga, TN
County: Hamilton
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The Union Depot, constructed on this site between 1857-1859, as a large trainshed with tracks, offices, and waiting-rooms beneath, originated in an agreement of Sept. 12, 1857, between the Western & Atlantic and the Nashville & Chattanooga Railroads. These were later joined by the Memphis & Charleston and the East Tennessee & Georgia. The depot was modified in 1869 and in 1881 to include a brick building in front with offices and waiting rooms.