Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Ross's Landing



Marker ID: THC 2A 72
Location: on Riverfront Parkway, Chattanooga TN
County: Hamilton
Coordinates: N 35° 3.378    W 085° 18.703
  35.0563    -85.31171666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMF93
 



Text:

Established about 1816 by John Ross some 370 yards east of this point, it consisted of a ferry, warehouse, and landing. With the organization of Hamilton County in 1819 north of the river, it served not only the Cherokee trade but also as a convenient business center for the country. Cherokee parties left from the landing for the West in 1838, the same year the growing community took the name Chattanooga.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.