Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Chattanooga Howard School



Marker ID: THC 2A 83
Location: on S Market Street (Tennessee Route 58), Chattanooga, TN
County: Hamilton
Coordinates: N 35° 1.568    W 085° 18.661
  35.02613333    -85.31101666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNFZ4
 



Text:

Founded as a church school about 1865, Howard School was the first free public school, black or white, established in Hamilton County. Incorporated into the city school system in 1873, Howard School was established by the Rev. E. O. Tade, a black Congregational minister. Tade served as Hamilton County's first superintendent of education. The school was named after Gen. O. O. Howard commissioner of the Freedmen's Bureau.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.