Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Booker T. Washington School ~ 1924 - 1968



Marker ID: THC 2A 87
Location: 4626 Oakwood Drive, Chattanooga, TN
County: Hamilton
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

In 1924, three schools were consolidated to form Booker T. Washington School, with J.T. Swann as principal. In 1934, the school burned, reopening in 1935 as the only Black high school in the county. Named for Washington, founder of Tuskegee Institute, the dedicatory address was given by his son, E.D. Washington, in Nov. 1935. T.D. Upshaw served as principal of the school from 1935 to 1968, when it closed due to desegregation.