Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Saint Paul's Episcopal Church



Marker ID: THC 2A 106
Location: 305 West 7th Street, Chattanooga, TN
County: Hamilton
Coordinates: N 35° 2.905    W 085° 18.763
  35.04841666    -85.31271666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

St. Paul’s Episcopal Parish was established in 1853. Between 1861 and 1863, the church was used as a hospital, first by Confederates and later by Federal forces. The present church structure was designed by noted architect William Halsey Wood. Its cornerstone was set in 1886. Beginning in the 1960s, the Parish helped lead community efforts to address racial inequality and other social issues. The mother of nine Episcopal churches in the Chattanooga area, it is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

Tennessee Historical Commision.