Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Bonny Oaks School



Marker ID:  
Location: 5114 Bonny Oaks Drive, Chattanooga, TN
County: Hamilton
Coordinates: N 35° 4.427    W 085° 10.957
  35.07378333    -85.18261666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2Q9G
 



Text:

A Hamilton County Institution
Founded 1896


Authorized by Act of the General Assembly, 1895. The first Board of Trustees met March 7th 1896. Present were the Reverend J.W. Bachman, President: Major Charles D. McGuffy, Secretary: J.S. Bell, Treasurer; Judge Seth M. Walker; and Squire L.W. Bates.

On January 4th, 1898 the Col. Jarrett G. Dent plantation, later known as “Bonnie Oaks Farm at Jersey,” was purchased. J.C. Kalleen was engaged as first superintendent. The first student was admitted February 22, 1898 “at the request of his mother, his father being dead.”

The Negro Department was opened April 28th, 1898.
July 31, 1899 a deed to the adjoining Trimble farm was presented to the School by Z. C. Patten, Sr. for a Girls’ Department.


“MIGHTY OAKS FROM LITTLE ACORNS GROW!”



Erected by Bonny Oaks School.