Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Military History of Chattanooga



Marker ID:  
Location: at the Chattanooga Choo Choo hotel, 1400 Market Street, Chattanooga, TN 
County: Hamilton
Coordinates: N 35° 2.255    W 085° 18.398
  35.03758333    -85.30663333
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WM861
 



Text:

This city was first occupied by Confederate troops in the spring of 1862 under Generals Floyd, Maxey and Leadbetter. Union troops under General Mitchell Shelled it June 7 and 8. Bragg's Army occupied it in August preparing for the Kentucky campaign, again in the fall on its return from Kentucky, and in the summer of 1863 when retiring before Rosecrans from Middle Tennessee. Wilder shelled the city from Stringer's Ridge August 21. Bragg evacuated it Sept. 7 and 8, and a small Union force took possession. Rosecrans occupied it in force the second morning after the Battle of Chickamagua, and thereafter it remained in Union control. Thomas succeeded Rosecrans Oct. 19.

Grant took general command Oct. 23. A short line of supplies to Bridgeport by Brown's Ferry was opened Oct. 28, upon a plan devised by General Rosecrans. Hooker's forces arrived in Lookout Valley on that date and fought the Battle of Wauhatchie. Sherman's troops crossed the Tennessee above the city during the night of Nov. 23.

On that day the Army of the Cumberland carried Orchard Knob.

Nov. 24, Hooker's column captured the north slope of Lookout Mountain. On Nov. 25, Missionary Ridge, excepting Cleborn's position at Tunnel Hill and the intervening line to Walthall's Stand north of De Long's was carried by Grant's combined Armies, Bragg retreated to Dalton.