Historic Markers Across Tennessee



St. James Episcopal Church



Marker ID: THC 4C 23
Location: at the intersection of Market Street (U.S. 64) and Washington Street, Bolivar, TN
County: Hardeman
Coordinates: N 35° 15.378    W 088° 59.374
  35.2563    -88.98956666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNA4F
 



Text:

St. James Episcopal Church
One Block


Organized April 17, 1834. The Present edifice, completed 1870 and consecrated by Bishop Charles T. Quintard, replaced a brick building built in 1840. The memorial window for Gen. Otho F. Strahl and Lt. John Marst, both killed in the Battle of Franklin, was given by Quintard from sale of a fine horse given him by Strahl before the battle.

Tennessee Historical Commission