Historic Markers Across Tennessee



War Comes to Savannah



Marker ID: NPS 
Location: intersection of Bridge Street (U.S. 64) and West Main Street, Savannah, TN
County: Hardin
Coordinates: N 35° 13.519    W 088° 15.156
  35.22531666    -88.2526
Waymark: None
 



Text:

On March 8, 1862 the pro-Union citizens of Savannah turned out to greet the 40th Illinois Infantry, the vanguard of 40,000-man Union invasion force. Residents cheered as the Illinois troops trudged off the steamer Golden Gate formed into ranks, and marched up the slope into town. Within the week, a Union flotilla of more than 80 steamboats would crowd the banks of the Tennessee above and below the town.

For the next three months, Federal troops occupied the town. Union Major General Ulysses S. Grant made his headquarters at the home of William Harrell Cherry. After the Battle of Shiloh, Union wounded flooded the town. Hundreds died; many were buried in the local cemetery. After the war these bodied were moved to the National Cemetery at Shiloh overlooking Pittsburgh Landing.

Erected by Shiloh National Military Park - National Park Service - Department of the Interior.