Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Shiloh Church



Marker ID:  
Location: Corinth-Pittsburg Landing Road, in Shiloh National Military Park
County: Hardin
Coordinates: N 35° 8.025    W 088° 21.319
  35.13375    -88.35531666
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The Battle of Shiloh takes its name from a Methodist log church that stood here during the battle. On the morning of Sunday, April 6, 1862, the church and cemetery grounds became the scene of fierce fighting as Confederates attacked Union forces camped nearby.

The original log meeting house was erected in 1853. The building survived the battle to serve as a hospital, but collapsed several weeks later. A new frame church replaced the original in 1875. The present masonry church was dedicated in 1959.