Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Shiloh Log Church



Marker ID:  
Location: Corinth-Pittsburg Landing Road, in Shiloh National Military Park
County: Hardin
Coordinates: N 35° 08.026    W 088° 21.313
  35.13376666    -88.35521666
Style: Mounted **
Waymark: WMCM3P
 



Text:

Shiloh Church, biblically known as "place of peace," was built in 1851. Ironically this small log church gave name to the famous Battle of Shiloh and became the site of some of the fiercest fighting of the Civil War. On Sunday morning, April 6, 1862, the quiet woods and fields around this small Methodist Church erupted into a horrific battle. Shortly after dawn, the Confederate Army under the command of General Albert S. Johnston attacked the Union Division of General W.T. Sherman camped at this location.

The Union troops were determined to hold the high ground by this church and the Confederates were equally determined to drive the Federals into the Tennessee River. After several hours of intensive fighting, the entire Federal army under the command of Ulysses S. Grant slowly withdrew toward Pittsburg Landing, leaving this area with many dead and wounded from both sides.

By early afternoon, General P.G.T. Beauregard assumed command of the Confederate Army after the death of General Johnston. Beauregard established his headquarters and directed the battle from this area near the church. By nightfall, Shiloh Church also served as shelter for the many wounded and dying men who had fallen during that day's fighting.

The following day, April 7th, Shiloh Church once again served as a critical location when the Confederate Army started their slow retreat back to Corinth. General Beauregard and his staff directed the retreat from this area.

Although the original log church at Shiloh was destroyed during the battle, the log church before you is a near exact replica of that original church. Much detail went into building this church, using hand-hewn logs approximately 150 years old that came from this area. This log church replica was started in 1999 under the direction of the Shiloh Sons of Confederate Veteran Camp #1454 and Shiloh Methodist Church.

With the support and donations from the sons and daughters of both the Union and Confederate Veterans, Shiloh Methodist Church, Shiloh National Park and numerous other friends, this monumental task became a reality and was completed in 2001. Shiloh Log Church again stands proudly on the Battlefield of Shiloh.

(List of contributors)

We acknowledge the above contributors but also want to recognize the many friends and other supporters, too numerous to mention, who made this project possible.

Shiloh Sons of Confederate Veteran Camp #1454 and Shiloh Methodist Church.