Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Shiloh United Methodist Church



Marker ID:  
Location: Corinth-Pittsburg Landing Road, in Shiloh National Military Park
County: Hardin
Coordinates: N 35° 08.024    W 088° 21.308
  35.13373333    -88.35513333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNHB7
 



Text:

In 1851 John J. Ellis donated 4 acres to the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, for a house of worship. The original house was constructed of rough hewn logs and was about 25 by 30 feet in dimensions. The name Shiloh, from which the Civil War battle received its name, means "House of Peace. " During April 6-7, 1862, the church was the scene of heavy fighting between Union and Confederate forces. The church was destroyed soon after the battle. After the war, worship was resumed in a brush arbor. About 1875 a wood frame structure was erected on the original site. The present structure was begun with native stone in 1929. Construction was discontinued due to a lack of funds. It was completed and dedicated in 1952.


Notes:

?? - not sure if there are two markers or not ??