Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Shiloh School ~ 1928 - 1954



Marker ID:  
Location: on Corinth-Pittsburg Landing Road, in Shiloh National Military Park.
County: Hardin
Coordinates: N 35° 8.007    W 088° 21.28
  35.13345    -88.35466666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Shiloh School was located just beyond the Illinois Monument. In 1928, a ten room building with auditorium was erected at cost of $18,000 with a gym added later. Much of the equipment was built and bought by teachers and patrons of the school. The first teachers were John Hinkle, Lillie Farris, Ivy Wood Milligan and Mancil Milligan. Students from Pickwick, Counce, Wayne, Childers Hill, New Hope, West Shiloh and Shiloh attended the school. The School grew and became a four year accredited high school with the first graduating class in 1931. Shiloh High School was known to have outstanding students scholastically and winning basketball teams as well.

Students of the Shiloh School are located throughout the United States in very successful occupations and professions. The school was closed in 1954 with students attending Southside School.