Historic Markers Across Tennessee



St. Marks Presbyterian Church 1875 ~ 2002



Marker ID: THC 1B 66
Location: on W Kyle St. east of Hasson Street, Rogersville, TN
County: Hawkins
Coordinates: N 36° 24.464    W 083° 00.477
  36.40773333    -83.00795
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM67KH
 



Text:

Originated in 1875. St. Marks was the first black Presbyterian Church in Rogersville. Formerly located in the tenth Civil District, now McKinney Avenue, the church moved to the corner of Kyle and Hasson Street in 1912. The Reverend William H. Franklin, founder and pastor, served St. Marks and Swift Memorial College. Buried on the Swift Campus, in 1898, Dr. Franklin received an honory doctorate from Maryville College. The church ministered to the Swift's faculity, students, and community. On July 21, 2002, the church dissolved. Its facility now serves the youth and community through the arts.

Tennessee Historical Commission



Notes:

Two sided marker - St. Marks Presbyterian Church / Swift Memorial College