Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Army National Guard



Marker ID: DAR 
Location: at the intersection of Main Street (Tennessee Route 54) and North Lafayette Avenue, at the courthouse, Brownsville ,TN
County: Haywood
Coordinates: N 35° 35.639    W 089° 15.772
  35.59398333    -89.26286666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM2FQK
 



Text:

The Army National Guard predates the founding of our nation by almost one hundred fifty years. It is the oldest component of our armed forces. Today's National Guard is the direct descendent of the militias of the thirteen original colonies. The Guard has participated in every American conflict since the Pequot War of 1637. The Marquis de Lafayette, who commanded a Virginia brigade during the Revolutionary War, coined the phrase “Garde Nationale”, applying it to all our organized militia units. The militia proved to the world that civilian volunteers could be molded into trained fighting men and women, thus forging the tradition that continues today in the Army National Guard.

Erected by David Craig Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, and Citizens of Brownsville and Haywood County, TN.