Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Stanton



Marker ID:  
Location: on Main Street (2nd Avenue) west of Oak Street, at 49 Main Street, Stanton, TN
County: Haywood
Coordinates: N 35° 27.731    W 089° 24.181
  35.46218333    -89.40301666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMDW98
 



Text:

The town of Stanton was established c.1856 with the coming of the Memphis & Ohio Railroad. J.B. Stanton on whose land part of the town was built is credited as the town founder. Most of the town of Wesley moved to Stanton to be on the R.R. After the War Between the States, a number of businesses were started. Today, Stanton not only retains many of its 19th century homes but also is planning for the future.

Erected 2008 by Leadership Class 2008 and Haywood Co. Historical Society.