Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Camp Tyson



Marker ID: THC 4A 41
Location: on Willoughby Road 0.2 miles north of Austin Peay Memorial Highway (U.S. 79), Henry, TN
County: Henry
Coordinates: N 36° 13.642    W 088° 22.711
  36.22736666    -88.37851666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1F7K
 



Text:

Camp Tyson


Named in honor of Brig. Gen. Lawrence D. Tyson U.S. Senator and veteran of the Spanish-American and First World wars, Camp Tyson was the only barrage balloon training center in the U.S. Army during World War II. Construction began on this 6,115 acre site on Sept. 4, 1941, at a cost of $10 million. Under the command of Brig. Gen. John B. Maynard, thousands of American servicemen were trained here for Barrage Balloon Service of the Coast Artillery Corps.

Tennessee Historical Commission.



Notes:

More information:
Tennessee Encyclopedia: Camp Tyson
Barrage Balloons in WW II