Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Henry County Courthouse / Henry County



Marker ID: THC 4A 52
Location: 130 North Poplar Street, Paris, TN
County: Henry
Coordinates: N 36° 18.125    W 088° 19.531
  36.30208333    -88.32551666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Henry County Courthouse


This Courthouse was designed by Reuben Harrison Hunt of Chattanooga and built by Ed M. Wallen of New Decatur, Alabama, in 1896. It is the third Courthouse on this site and is one of West Tennessee oldest working Courthouses. The Murder Case Grainger v. State (1830) originated on this site and set precedent for self - defense as a basis for appeal. Confederate military units, including the "Paris Blues," 5th Tennessee Infantry and 46th Tennessee Infantry regiments, were organized on the lawn.


Henry County


Henry County, named for Revolutionary War patriot Patrick Henry, was created on November 7, 1821 from lands that were part of the Jackson Purchase from the Chickasaws in 1818. Andrew Jackson was a membor of the commission that negotiated this treaty. Henry County sent more than 2500 volunteers to the Confederate Armies, and claims the title "Volunteer County of the Volunteer State."

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.