Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Stewart Station



Marker ID: THC 3E 14
Location: 5805 TN 147, Stewart, TN
County: Houston
Coordinates: N 36° 19.120    W 087° 50.316
  36.31866666    -87.8386
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1XY1
 



Text:

Established in 1860 as a station on the Memphis, Clarksville & Louisville Railroad, Stewart Station was named for Duncan Stewart, an early settler in this area. His settlement is believed to be the first in what is now Houston County. By 1878 the town had a population of 100 and contained stores, shops, saloons, and a school, church, stave and shingle factory, and lime kiln.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.