Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Stokely-Van Camp, Inc.



Marker ID: THC 1C 87
Location: at the intersection of U.S. 25W/70 and Swansylvania Road, Dandridge, TN
County: Jefferson
Coordinates: N 36° 1.447    W 083° 18.307
  36.02411666    -83.30511666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMCDWD
 



Text:

Side A
One-half mile south, on Seehorn Creek, the first Stokely Brothers cannery was built in 1898 with $3,900 invested by Colonel Alfred R. Swann, Anna Rorex Stokely, and her sons, James and John. In the 30 ~ by ~ 60 ~ foot shed, 4,000 cases of tomatoes were canned that summer, hauled by wagon to a landing on the Stokely farm and shipped to market by boat.

Side B
The Stokely Brothers canning operation grew to become one of America's largest companies with 4,500 full-time employees and almost $600 million in annual sales. Known for its canned pork~and~beans, Stokely~Van Camp was the first marketer of the sports drink, Gatorade. In 1983, the Quaker Oats Company purchased Stokely~Van Camp for $238 million.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.