Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Confederate States of America Camp Van Dorn March 28-July 28, 1962



Marker ID: THC 1E 114
Location: on Western Ave (TN 62) at Westview Ave., Knoxville, TN
County: Knox
Coordinates: N 35° 58.068    W 083° 56.911
  35.9678    -83.94851666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMW9FA
 



Text:

Confederate States of America Camp Van Dorn March 28-July 28, 1962


Major General E. Kirby Smith of the Confederate Army established Camp Van Dorn 1.5 to 2 miles west of Knoxville Depot, near the banks of a little stream, Third Creek. It operated from March 28 through July 28, 1862. Most Georgia Confederate Infantry regiments, including the 37th, 39th, 40th and 52nd from Camp McDonald at "Big Shanty", Georgia were here. Diseases decimated the ranks of the Ga. 40th and 52nd, killing 137. Most of these Confederate dead were buried in Bethel Cemetery here in Knoxville.

Tennessee Historical Commission