Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Knoxville's Market House



Marker ID:  
Location: intersection of Union Ave and Market St, Knoxville, TN
County: Knox
Coordinates: N 35° 57.883    W 083° 55.15
  35.96471666    -83.91916666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Knoxville's Market House


Knoxville's first Market House, opened on Main Avenue between Walnut and Market Streets in 1816, and the second and third on this square in 1854 and 1897, long served for the sale of farm products and as a colorful center of civic life. In 1863-64 the Market contained a Federal powder magazine, to the uneasiness of citizens. The old Market was replaced by the Mall in 1961.


Knoxville - Knox County Civil War Centennial Committee.