Historic Markers Across Tennessee

The Historic Village of Concord

Marker ID:  
Location: 405 Campbell Station Rd, Knoxville, TN
County: Knox
Coordinates: N 35° 53.283    W 084° 10.033
  35.88805    -84.16721666
Waymark: None


The Historic Village of Concord
The Depression and TVA

By 1887, Concord was the second largest community in Knox County, second to Knoxville. The Village of Concord was a regional transportation center. Tennessee marble, crushed limestone, lime, logs and farm produce were gathered at its public dock. Passenger ferries and commercial boats landed there, and the railroad provided passenger connections to Knoxville and other cities. Around the turn of the century the area was thriving. referred to in early histories as "...a right lively little town," the town had grown to include several general stores, specialty shops, private schools and churches, two livery stables and flower mills, and a brickyard, lime kiln, inn, saloon, undertaking establishment, railroad depot, bank post office, ice cream parlor, drug store, barber shop and fairground. Many of the original buildings were destroyed by fire in 1916 but were quickly rebuilt.

The Great Depression on the 1930s brought economic hardship to Concord. New building materials lessened the use of Tennessee marble and caused the marble industry to go into a decline from which it never recovered. In 1941, the Tennessee Valley Authority started construction of the Fort Loudoun Dam. Within three years' time, resultant backwaters inundated the land south of the railroad. This event would have the greatest impact on Concord. The relocation of roads as a result of the lake removed the town from any well-traveled route. At least 16 families - living on the "wrong side" of the tracks - were displaced due to the flooding of the land. For some families, it was not the first time TVA had taken their homes. Houses were dismantled, and flooring and other construction materials were moved by homeowners to the next location, always with the hope that this would be the last move. Portions of the railroad were relocated to higher adjacent ground and continued to carry freight by did not provide passenger service. The development of automobiles and new transportation routes also contributed to Concord’s gradual decline. Its historic status is preserved on the National register of Historic Places.

Known as the Fair Capital of Knox County, the fairground located at Concord Road and Turkey Creek was home to the first fair on the circuit in 1895. Events included harness racing and balloon ascensions. The competition for the most graceful woman rider, ages 20-25, was a favorite. Popular events included demonstrations of farm equipment and contests for the best home-baked cakes, pies and old-fashioned biscuits.

Farragut Museum.