Historic Markers Across Tennessee



The Old Cumberland Presbyterian Meeting House



Marker ID:  
Location: 11019 2nd Dr, Knoxville, TN
County: Knox
Coordinates: N 35° 51.867    W 084° 8.417
  35.86445    -84.14028333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The Old Cumberland Presbyterian Meeting House


The first Cumberland Presbyterian Congregation in East Tennessee was organized c. 1822 and given the name Concord. The church building, often referred to as the "Old Meeting House", was located 2 miles SE of the present town of Concord just off Westland Drive. In 1828, the Concord Church was the site of the organization of Knoxville Presbytery, the first Cumberland Presbyterian presbytery in East Tennessee.

Because of distance and road conditions, in 1870 members living in Concord established a church in town. They took with them the name Concord Cumberland Presbyterian Church and built in what is now the Masonic Cemetery. Members continuing to worship at the original site renamed their church West Emory Cumberland Presbyterian Church. In 1906 both the Concord and West Emory Churches entered into union with the Presbyterian Church.