Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Methodist Church and Masonic Lodge 1908



Marker ID:  
Location: intersection of 2nd Ave S and Millcreek Dr, Loretto, TN
County: Lawrence
Coordinates: N 35° 4.326    W 087° 26.825
  35.0721    -87.44708333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Methodist Church and Masonic Lodge 1908


(side 1)
An agreement was made with the Masons to build and share the two-story wood clapboard building. Different protestant denominations contributed labor, materials, and money. The graveyard, donated in 1908, became Loretto Cemetery after the church was relocated in 1954. The 1908 church was located here, next to the original site of Glen’s Stand, built pre-1812 at the present day north corner of 2nd Avenue (Andrew Jackson’s Military Road) at Mill Creek Drive. The village of Glen Rock developed at Glen’s Stand on the gentle rise above the spring and creek where Glen Rock Cemetery was located.

The western frontier of America was created as the Mississippi Territory in 1798. This land was the sovereign tribal lands of the Cherokee and Chickasaw Nations prior to the Treaties of 1816. Chief Doublehead of the Chickamauga Cherokee improved an ancient buffalo trail to become Doublehead Trace leading from his villages at the Shoals on the Tennessee River through Lawrence and Maury counties TN to the French Lick (Nashville), where he and his warriors waged war on the Cumberland River settlements, 1775-1795.

(side 2)
Doublehead met with President George Washington 1794. He became a wealthy landlord for settlers and business owners on Bluewater Creek, south of Glen Rock. The Chickasaw Nation held claim to Doublehead’s land and President Thomas Jefferson agreed that the United States Army would remove the intruders by force in 1809 and 1811. Doublehead was assassinated by Cherokee leaders 1807.

Glen Rock prospered after the completion of Jackson’s Military Road in 1820, cutting 200 miles off the previous journey by stage from Nashville to New Orleans made on the Natchez Trace. The Military Road followed parts of Doublehead Trace through Glen Rock. In 1822, mail riders followed parts the new Military Road. The last stagecoach ran in 1849. Glen Rock Post Office was established in 1852. Andrew Jackson joined horse owners from AL, MS, and KY at the race track located near the present day South Lawrence Elementary School on the Old Military Road.

During the Civil War in 1864, General John Bell Hood’s Army of Tennessee of about 30,000 crossed the Tennessee River at Florence, AL. One of three columns of war-torn soldiers, marching to the bitter, winter battles in Franklin and Nashville followed Jackson’s Military Road to Glen Rock where they camped around Glen’s Stand.

2016.