Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Hobbs Bridge



Marker ID: THC 3G 36
Location: Lincoln County, Curtis Road, on Elk River, northwest of Coldwater
County: Lincoln
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

The Hobbs Bridge once served as the river crossing here. Completed in 1891 at a cost of $7,329, the bridge was named for Pleasant Hobbs, a member of the Lincoln County Court. Only one of the original three steel trusses of the Hobbs Bridge remains, a Baltimore (petit) truss which is relatively rare. In 1986, it was the only known bridge of this type remaining in Tennessee. A truss bridge, like the Hobbs Bridge, is composed of many members in triangular patterns that distribute weight on the bridge allowing it to carry heavy loads.