Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Confederate Park Cannon



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of College Street East (Business U.S. 64) and Elk Avenue South, Fayetteville, TN
County: Lincoln
Coordinates: N 35° 9.1    W 086° 34.167
  35.15166666    -86.56945
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Manufactured by the Scott Foundry of Reading, Pennsylvania, in January 1865 and February 1866, these two cannons were cast as 10-inch muzzle loading smooth bore weapons. In 1876 rifled sleeves were inserted into the gun tubes reducing the barrel diameters to 8 inches. The guns were mounted on barbette carriages at Fort Morgan, Alabama, in 1898 as a part of the coastal defense system during the Spanish-American War. The guns were brought by rail to Fayetteville and installed as an integral part of the Confederate Park in 1905.

Erected 1905.