Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Site of Civil War Hospital



Marker ID:  
Location: on East Main Street (State Highway 151), Red Boiling Springs, TN
County: Macon
Coordinates: N 36° 31.817    W 085° 50.672
  36.53028333    -85.84453333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

This area was on a route used by Federal and Confederate troops as they made maneuvers between the Northern and Southern states. As they traveled thru, their sick and wounded were often left here for treatment. Dr. James Carson Weir, from neighboring Jackson County and a Minnesota native, was first appointed surgeon by Union forces and then by the Confederates in Sept. 1862 as Braxton Bragg's Army made its march this way. It was at this time that a Confederate hospital was established. The Federal Army took Dr. Weir prisoner after they had recaptured "Red Spring" from Confederate control. He was released after proving he was a Union sympathizer. The Dedman Hotel housed the hospital. It was the only hotel at the time and the best-suited facility with quarters large enough to accommodate such an endeavor.

Erected by Macon County Historical Society and Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp Jim Davis #1425.