Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Mother Liberty CME Church



Marker ID: THC 4D 40
Location:
County: Madison
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

On December 15, 1870, in Jackson, the Colored Methodist Episcopal Church was organized by the General Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. The first official CME Church, "Mother Liberty," which stood one block west, was razed by fire in the late 1800's. In 1893 the church was relocated to its present site. In 1954 the Colored Methodist Episcopal Church became the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church.