Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Merry High School



Marker ID: THC 4D 43
Location: 332 Lane Avenue, Jackson, TN
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 35° 37.676    W 088° 48.744
  35.62793333    -88.8124
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1Q89
 



Text:

With the addition of the twelfth grade in 1922 the South Jackson School on Church Street, the city's only secondary school for black youth, was renamed Merry High School in honor of Austin Raymond Merry (1856-1921), the principal who had pioneered the school's change from the elementary to the secondary level. The school was moved to Tanyard Street in 1935 and then in 1957 to new facilities located on Lane Avenue at Royal Street. Merry High School merged with formerly all white Jackson High School in 1970 by court order to form Jackson Central Merry High School.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.