Historic Markers Across Tennessee



First Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: THC 4D 48
Location: 1573 N Highland Ave, Jackson, TN
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 35° 38.48    W 088° 49.7
  35.64133333    -88.82833333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

First Presbyterian Church, which was organized in 1823, is Jackson's oldest church. The first church edifice was built in 1832 at Main and Church Street, remaining there for 120 years. In 1952, the church moved to this site. Know as Willow Banks, it was the home of Colonel William H. Stephens, CSA. Later, it was the home of Clarence Pigford, owner of Jackson Sun.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.