Historic Markers Across Tennessee



First Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: THC 4D 51
Location: 1573 North Highland Avenue, Jackson, TN 
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 35° 38.480    W 088° 49.700
  35.64133333    -88.82833333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1BQ0
 



Text:

First Presbyterian Church, which was organized in 1823, is Jackson's oldest church. The first church edifice was built in 1832 at Main and Church streets, remaining there for 120 years. In 1952, the church moved to this site. Known as Willow Banks, it was the home of Colonel William H. Stephens, CSA. Later, it was the home of Clarence Pigford, owner of the Jackson Sun.