Historic Markers Across Tennessee



First United Methodist Church



Marker ID: THC 4D 56
Location: 200 South Church Street, Jackson, TN
County: Madison
Coordinates: N 35° 36.775    W 088° 49.036
  35.61291666    -88.81726666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM1Y89
 



Text:

In 1826, the Reverend Thomas Neely organized Jackson's First Methodist Church. Its first house of worship was built in 1831 on the southeast corner of Church and Chester Streets. During the Civil War, Union forces used the church's 1851 edifice as a hospital and stable. In 1870, First Methodist played a major role in organizing the Colored Methodist Episcopal Church, which is now known as the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church. This sanctuary formally opened on September 6, 1914.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.