Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Chiaha



Marker ID: THC 2B 3
Location: on U.S. 64/72 0.1 miles north of Interstate 24, Jasper, TN
County: Marion
Coordinates: N 35° 2.488    W 085° 41.349
  35.04146666    -85.68915
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM256Z
 



Text:

To the south, in the Tennessee River, is Burns' Island, formerly known as Lowery's Island. Here, at the Creek town of Chiaha, DeSoto camped June 5 to 28, 1540, while two scouts were sent north 30 leagues in search of gold. Here the Spaniards first found fenced villages. When they left, 500 carriers were furnished them.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.