Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Federal-Georgia Road



Marker ID: THC 2B 29
Location: intersection of Shellmound Road (Tennessee Route 156) and Substation Raod, Guild, TN
County: Marion
Coordinates: N 35° 0.818    W 085° 32.66
  35.01363333    -85.54433333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WMNFZ5
 



Text:

During 1805–08, the U.S. Government and State of Tennessee constructed the Federal–Georgia Road in order to connect Tennessee to the Atlantic seaboard. The road proceeded north from Augusta to Spring Place, Georgia, where it divided. Federal Road proceeded northeast to Tellico Blockhouse. Georgia Road proceeded northwest to the Stone’s River where it connected to the road to Nashville. The Cherokee later constructed an alternate route north of Lookout Mountain.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.