Historic Markers Across Tennessee



St. John's



Marker ID: THC 3D 37
Location: 6465 Trotwood Avenue, Columbia, TN
County: Maury
Coordinates: N 35° 34.468    W 087° 8.379
  35.57446666    -87.13965
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Consecrated Sept. 4, 1842, by James Hervey Otey, first Episcopal Bishop of Tennessee, this church was built by Leonidas Polk, then Missionary Bishop of Southwest and his three brothers, George, Lucius, and Rufus, who divided a grant received from their father, Col. William Polk, of North Carolina. Memorial services are held here on Whitsunday.

Tennessee Historical Commission