Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Columbia Miliary Academy



Marker ID: THC 3D 68
Location: on W 7th St. (US 412) at Oakdale Dr., Columbia, TN
County: Maury
Coordinates: N 35° 37.019    W 087° 03.236
  35.61698333    -87.05393333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM35FB
 



Text:

Columbia Military Academy 1904-1979. In 1888, local residents gave 67 acres to the U.S. Army for an arsenal. The Bowling Green stone buildings quartered troops in the Spanish-American War. Columbia Military Academy was founded in 1904 and opened formally August 23, 1905 with 167 young men from eight states. Designated an "Honor School" in 1935 by the U.S. government, youth nationwide trained here as military and civil leaders. Among them: general officers, battle heroes, governors, educators, and corporate heads.

Tennessee Historical Commission