Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Petty-Manker Hall ~ 1913 - 2000



Marker ID:  
Location: 443 Green St, Athens, TN
County: McMinn
Coordinates: N 35° 26.812    W 084° 35.571
  35.44686666    -84.59285
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Petty-Manker Hall was built in 1913 as a dormitory for men. It was named in honor of the Reverend J.S. Petty and the Reverend J.J. Manker, class of 1873. The four-story brick building was erected at a cost of $25,000, which was contributed by John A Patten of Chattanooga and the community of Athens.

Bricks used on the inside wall came from the Grandview Hotel building (most commonly known as the “Red Elephant”). The Grandview Hotel located on Woodward Avenue in Athens was purchased by the college in 1889. The hotel burned in July of 1907.

Petty-Manker Hall was the second and most modern dormitory for men on the Tennessee Wesleyan College campus. On the ground floor a large dining hall was located that accommodated one hundred people. Petty-Manker Hall served as a men’s dormitory until the 1970’s and thereafter was utilized in various ways.


This marker is placed in honor of all former residents of Petty-Manker Hall.