Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Englewood / A Textile Mill Town



Marker ID:  
Location: on South Niota Road (TN Route 39), Englewood, TN
County: McMinn
Coordinates: N 35° 25.546    W 084° 29.267
  35.42576666    -84.48778333
Waymark: None
 



Text:

Englewood
A Textile Mill Town


Expansion of textile manufacturing into the Southern states provided the first large-scale “public work” opportunities for local women. Englewood’s textile workforce, from the workers of the first spinning mill built on a nearby farm in 1857 to the present, has been predominantly female. Early mills also employed children, and reserved certain jobs for men.

At least 25 textile mills have operated in Englewood. Products included cotton yard, union suits, women’s hosiery, socks, and fashion apparel. Most mills were family-run enterprises, and often employed entire families of workers. Larger mills offered rental houses, an attractive deal for families hired from the countryside or distant places. Company neighborhoods like Sock Hill, Yellow Top, and Shootin’ Street, had distinctive architectural styles and identities.

Eureka Cotton Mills (circa 1898) was located at Old Englewood, about two miles south of present-day Englewood.