Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Mississippi-Tennessee, MaNairy County Line



Marker ID: THC 4C 2
Location:
County: McNairy
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

McNairy County
Established 1823; named in honor of

Judge John McNairy.


Appointed by President George Washington, Judge of the Superior Court of the Western District of North Carolina, he arrived in Nashville in 1788. In 1797 he was appointed Judge of the District Court of the United States for Tennessee, which appointment he held until shortly before his death in 1833.

Mississippi


Named for the river which is its western boundary. DeSoto is reported to have died within its borders in 1542. Once owned by the Spanish and later by the French, Mississippi became a territory in 1798 and a state in 1817.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.