Historic Markers Across Tennessee



McNairy - Hardin County Line



Marker ID: THC 4C 6
Location:
County: McNairy
Coordinates:   
Waymark: None
 



Text:

McNairy County
Established 1823; named in honor of

Judge John McNairy.


Appointed by President George Washington, Judge of the Superior Court of the Western District of North Carolina, he arrived in Nashville in 1788. In 1797 he was appointed Judge of the District Court of the United States for Tennessee, which appointment he held until shortly before his death in 1833.

Hardin County
Established 1836; named in honor of

Col. Joseph Hardin.


Veteran of the Revolutionary War; Speaker of the State of Franklin Assembly; justice of Greene County; member of the first Territorial Assembly and Speak',r of the House of Representatives for the second. His son, James, and a party of 26 immigrants from Greene County were the first settlers in this area, 1816.

Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission.