Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Washington Ferry



Marker ID: THC 2B 30
Location: on the west side of the Tennessee River on State Highway 30 in Meigs County, TN.
County: Meigs
Coordinates: N 35° 32.181    W 084° 52.592
  35.53635    -84.87653333
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM24WW
 



Text:

About 1807, Conley Hastings established a fery at this site. Originally, it provided transportation between the town of Washington to the west and the Cherokee Territory to the east of the river, and later between Rhea and Meigs County seats of Dayton and Decatur. It was an important transportation link until replaced by a bridge in 1994.