Historic Markers Across Tennessee



Blythe Ferry



Marker ID: THC 2B 32
Location: on Hiwassee Highway (State Highway 60) 5 miles south of Rhea County Highway (U.S. 27), Birchwood, TN
County: Meigs
Coordinates: N 35° 24.92    W 085° 1.351
  35.41533333    -85.02251666
Style: Free Standing **
Waymark: WM29CT
 



Text:

Around 1809, William Blythe, a Cherokee, established a ferry at this site to provide transportation for the settlers to the west and the Cherokees to the east. During the 1838 Trail of Tears, it was an important crossing, and it played a military role during the Civil War. Blythe Ferry continued in operation until replaced by a bridge in 1994.


Notes:

There are two “Blythe Ferry” markers. One is in Rheas county (2B 33) on the north side of the river and the second is in Meigs County (2B 32) on the south side of the river.